Monday 25 March 2013

Scared

I'm scared of the What-Ifs.

What If... I can't do a PhD next year?
What If... I'll have to move back to the Netherlands?
What If... I then still can't get a job?
What If... I can get a job but it's for 10 hours a week at a local shop?
What If... I'll be stuck in dead-end jobs for the rest of my life and will thus have wasted time on getting a BA and an MSc?

I was getting a little more optimistic about the economy lately, that is, until they pulled the Cyprus-plug.

I really do want to stay in the UK and I really do want to get a job in academia - anything is fine by me, though if at all possible I'd really like to be a teacher or researcher - but I'm afraid that going by the way things are now, I should not have too many hopes.

But let's trudge on. Next week might be different.

1 comment:

  1. I think you have managed to grasp the feelings of our entire generation that is studying now. You're not the only one feeling this way :)
    But one note, no matter what; I don't think a BA and MSc will ever be a 'waste of time' (least of all the connections and like-minded people you meet during them). It's an investment that cannot really be taken from you, and as my parents told me; never be miserly when investing in yourself :)
    Chin up!

    ReplyDelete