Saturday 16 March 2013

Foolishness

Sorry about all the illness posts, people, but since my parents are my most loyal readers, I guess I should keep them properly informed about me having the flu.

Plus, I get to be melodramatic.



I did something incredibly foolish today (and I'm sure I'll hear all about my foolishness soon)...

I went into the library, determined to finish a new draft of my research proposal (I'm also applying here in Leicester, after all, and they require a full research proposal), I snottered* my way there, picked up some methodological sources that I desperately needed and then sat down behind a computer to annoy a bearded hipster by blowing my nose every five minutes.

So far so good, until I went to the library café for an orange juice and a pepperoni panini. It was good to eat something - very good, actually - except that panini are toasted and so I had toasted crumbs tickling my throat, meaning I had a bit of a coughing fit.

Under the spiteful gaze of other customers I finally decided to take my sources and catch a bus home. I did, I finished the research proposal from the confines of my mint-green-coloured room (sixties buildings...), but next time I'll try to heed my mum's old advice to not go to school when you're ill, not even when you really, really need to.

Pinky swear, mum.



*Snottered is not a proper word. I don't care. It's my direct translation of snotteren, which means either blubbering or snivelling, but since blubbering is more like a very messy sort of toddler-like crying and snivelling feels very similar to sneering - probably the 'sn'-phonaestheme (HA! See, I remember stuff from LLADS), I feel that the only mot juste there is 'snottered'. It's the only proper way to express the - excuse the graphicness - snot being stuck in your head and your nose and it's dripping from every orifice and you're going through a six-pack of kleenex in a day. Basically, 'to snotter' is the only proper verb to capture in one word what it's like to have a cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment