Saturday 20 October 2012

Leicester Adventure: Photographs

I've been working on my Practice Essay today. 2000 words on explaining the difference between measured crime rates and the public perception thereof. I'm so going to go over the word limit: I've written about 1650 words today and that's just the main skeleton, the employing of my three main sources to have something to hang further arguments on. The rest of the week will see padding and shaving of the essay. Should be interesting.

I received instructions from Kristy earlier today that she'd really like to see some photos of Leicester. I was going to take some next week, as next week I'll go shopping, but seeing as I had to go to the library anyway to do this essay writing, I figured I'd pack my camera and click away.

So here goes.

 This lovely grassy field is the main "quad" of the Mary Gee houses. Of course, it's not a real quad, but it suits my purposes for calling it a quad well enough. I can't wait to see it covered in snow. I'm also very happy my house doesn't border on the quad, for presume my bit is somewhat quieter. Not that this is very loud, though; I think they mainly put postgrads in Mary Gee.
 This is Queens Road, the road I walk down every day to school. It looks so very English, what with the houses all being slightly different and... well, it's just also a different sort of brick.

Two photos showing the vastness of the lawns of Victoria Park. As you can see, the leaves are turning crispy gold, and somehow trudging across the park is always loads colder than walking down Queens Road.
However, the squirrels (and you can't walk through the park without seeing one) make everything all right.
 This cheese grater-looking building is the Attenborough Tower, which houses the Departments of Arts, Languages and Law. It's one of the tallest buildings in the entire city of Leicester.
 This fancy house now houses the Department of Mathematics, but it used to be the childhood home of David and Richard Attenborough (according to the UoL website).
 This awful, awful contraption is the Department of Engineering. Very apt. Engineers can build anything, but haven't got any sense of aesthetics.
 This fancy glass-and-steel thing is the David Wilson Library, which is awesome. The toilets are also awesome (though I doubt they deserve the facebook page that they're rumoured to have). There's slightly too many books for the building, so most bookcases are the type on tracks, that you have to move with a large wheel on the side, like in Hollywood archives. I'll be squashed to death between those, for sure, at one point or another. Also, the Postgraduate Reading Room (It's a lounge, really...) is very nice, as it has comfy leather couches and seats that look like sun beds (but are also are done in black leather).
 The Fielding Johnson South Wing. I never come here, except to take this picture.
The sign of UoL. It lights up at night! I feel a strange sense of pride...
How can I not photograph a red post pillar?

You see the War Monument in Victoria Park - this is one of the many gates.
Sunset over Lancaster Road.

Victorian lamp post and Upper New Walk. Fancy bit of town, part of the "satellite campus".
THERE IT IS! The glorious Department of Criminology. Ain't it puuuurrrty?
Main gate into Victoria Park. In my view, really, the main campus, Victoria Park and satellite campus are all the same part of town: University of Leicester. Even though VP isn't part of the UoL.
Interesting how Scholars Walk is a dead end street. I hope it's not a sign. Found it funny, though.
One of those old houses on London Road that just creeps me out at night by adhering to the standards of what a haunted house should look like. Which means that even if I could still trick-or-treat, I never would on London Road (or Ratcliffe Road, for that matter, because the houses here are equally old/big/scary).
MY ROAD! (My Way?)
 My Hall of Residence.
The grassy court in front of my house. Unlike the rules at some other unis, at least here you can walk on the grass. Also, we have squirrels. Top that.

Hihi.

Anyway, as you can see, I'm starting to grow really fond of Leicester, or at least, of "my" parts of Leicester - of Knighton and Stoneygate and Victoria Park and the Campus.

I promise more photos in the future, but it's too dark out now to capture some of the other pretty bits of Leicester (I'm dying to show you all the paved-over location of where they found Richard III - I'm sure you can all appreciate a good bit of fresh asphalt), so for now: adieu and good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment