Tuesday 9 October 2012

Leicester Adventure: Cold

With this blog title I mean two sorts of cold: meteorological cold and medical cold. I'd like to say I'm suffering from both, but then I'd be hyperbolic in both cases; nevertheless, they are both starting to bother me.

About the medical cold: I've had an achy throat for a couple of days now, and my nose is starting to get runny. I should've expected this, I haven't been in student accommodation for four months. It's bothersome, though, but it'll go away soon, I'm convinced of that. Besides, I've got warm clothes for when I go outside, so it shouldn't get any worse, either.

What brings me to the meteorological cold: 11 degrees Celsius isn't quite freezing. But I can't regulate when my radiator is on, and I have a habit of leaving my window open when I'm home because I need a steady supply of fresh air. My windows being single-pane doesn't help, either. This means that when I sit and read (my instructors all keep emphasizing that we 'read' for our degree rather than study (which is a very British expression, I've come to understand) - they mean that we have to put in about 35 hours of class (8 hours) and reading (the rest) per week), I can put on as many layers of clothing I like, but my fingers and toes will still be cold.

I'll probably have to turn to a very British solution to both these fairly minor issues: tea.

I can get used to that, certainly.

P.S. This all also puts me in the mood for Christmas songs and split pea soup. It should be possible to make some here; I've got all the equipment except for my 10L soup pot (but I don't intend on making 10L this year, so my new 3.5L should suffice) and I think Asda's got most, if not all, ingredients (except for rookworst, probably, though it wouldn't surprise me if the superstore had that too)... When the time comes for me to make my famous-at-home version of Dutch Split Pea Soup, I'll do a proper blog report. Also, no, Dutch split pea soup should NOT contain potatoes, regardless of how many cooks do add them - if you're any good at making this soup, the ladle should stay upright without cheating.

No comments:

Post a Comment