Wednesday 20 February 2013

Grades (III)

I received my last grades back now too, for Research Methods.

And I'm a bit disappointed - I only receive a Merit rather than a Distinction, which is, in all truth, still good.

And besides, 68 is a rather high Merit, too, only 2 points short of Distinction. But it is not a Distinction.

I somehow messed up my qualitative assignment, which does not entirely surprise me because I just CAN'T write short papers. I can't express myself in 1000 or 2000 words, 2500 seems to be the absolute minimum (last year, I had so much trouble getting my Dorian Gray paper from 8000 to 6000 words). My analysis was good, according to the commentary, I just didn't write it down in a structured fashion. I also should have included more literature, but apparently I just can't write an analysis AND a literature review in 1000 words. I should work on that. I passed it, though.

My research proposal was - well, it was meh. The review does end with "a very encouraging proposal", which is good, but again I had some structural issues. What I do find irritating is that in some of my earlier essays I've been told I used too many subheadings, and now on this research proposal I used too few. WHAT DO THEY WANT?! Still got a Merit on that one, though a very average Merit.

My SPSS assignment was good. I received a 93 on that one, though 100 was possible on this thing.

It should be good news, right, getting a Merit on Research Methods? After all, this is the first time I did any sort of qualitative assignment (like, ever), and a solid Merit is still better than the B and B- I received for Methods & Statistics at UCR. But, yeah. I expected myself to do better on this.

Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment