Monday 31 December 2012

Leicester Adventure: New Year's Plans and Resolutions (that I won't keep)

2013 is fast approaching (only 20 more hours! Yes, I'm a bit insomniac), so all that I still have to do this year is wish you a brilliant new year, brimming with opportunities and happy moments - may your dreams come true and May the Force be with you!

I'm not going to do a what's happened in 2012, because mostly when I remember stuff it's embarrassing, making me cringe. Ooh, except for one last-minute discovery: the word 'moreish', for when 'addictive' is somehow not exactly le mot juste...

I prefer looking at the future, also because my mum once told me that you can't plan everything and I am still trying to prove her wrong. These are some of my plans for 2013, or at least the ones that are solidifying around this time... I'll be travelling to the Netherlands soon, which I am quite looking forward to, mostly because I miss paprika-flavoured crisps, but also because I'll meet up with some amazing people. In late July/August, I'll probably attend PALA student summer school and the Annual Conference in Heidelberg, to meet up with some more amazing people (and a battle axe) and generally use the cover of this having some sort of academic purpose to indulge in fun. I say probably, because if I get the internship I'm applying for, I may instead be spending time in France at that time. Finally, I am, as you'll know by now, in the process of seeking out and applying to Ph.D.-programmes. I kind of have to be accepted to any programme, because if I don't I haven't a clue whether I suit any purpose outside of academia at all - though I guess I can always go back to stacking and filing.

And now, my 2013 resolutions (that I won't keep):

  1. Procrastinate less.
    Why: Because the stress I experience when writing papers last-minute is literally turning my hair grey (may have something to do with my dye washing out), and because it is said that if you have more time to spend revising and rewriting the paper it turns out better (a myth terribly difficult to test empirically).
    Why I won't: the adrenaline rush of finishing a paper last-minute is very moreish addictive, and it's too bloody hard to motivate myself to do anything earlier. Also because it is very easy to neutralize the reading of books in your field that fall just beside the focus of your essay as being not procrastinating.
  2. Eat healthier.
    Why: Because HEALTHIER.
    Why I won't: I try to eat fairly healthy to begin with, few sweets, no puddings, no cakes, and I'm in the process of cutting cola from my diet (talk about a difficult task), but I should eat more regularly, and switch my BLT for something without bacon. English stores don't help, though, by including crisps in their meal deals (good thing they don't sell paprika crisps) and selling name-brand cola for 50p per liter. 
  3. Exercise more.
    Why: see above.
    Why I won't: I can't run (honestly, I've a very good reason). I'm still cycling to uni every day though, and cycle uphill to Asda once every two weeks, so I'm getting my 30 minutes a day, but it's not going to turn into more.
  4. Worry less.
    Why: Because it doesn't look pretty when it turns to panic. Also, it's bad for my blood pressure.
    Why I won't: Because I am a chronic worrier and that's not going to change without some intensive behavioural therapy. Also at least when I worry, I know I'll spend (inordinate) attention on futile details, so nothing will be missed... in a sense, worrying prevents future worry. 
  5. Get a life.
    Why: My brother likes lamenting my comparative lack of social skills, and then there's always the people who think that academia is not really having a life (I'm not sure it is, either, considering the amount of procrastinating I do), and then there's the dreaded Bridget Jones-question: "So, how's your love life?"
    Why I won't: I would have serious trouble fulfilling all my dreams, aspirations and ambitions if I were seriously attached, and for the rest, I've been the way I've been for the last 22 years; unless something traumatic happens, my personality is not going to change any more. I have a life: mine... sod conformity!

1 comment:

  1. "I am commenting on this (just because I can):
    1. Whatever works better for you. Personally, I prefer starting early, but it waiting till last works well (and your not failing in your course (which would be completely unreal...)), I'd say don't fix what's not broken (Although, I wouldn't do that for your PhD ... but that's a no-brain-er I guess :P )
    2. Yeah, English supermarkets aren't that conductive towards a health diet (maybe you should check some smaller shop, who knows it might be healthier (and perhaps cheaper))
    3. Biking everyday is great (its always way better than nothing), especially since its way easier on your knees and hips than running :)
    4. Something I tend to have an issue with too, but hows-about we call it 'fussing over details', worry is more negative than fussing (renaming something may seem pointless, but it can have a big impact on our brains. Like restating 'I can't do it.' to 'I won't do it.' both imply the same result, but the latter contains agency of the speaker, the former not. And having agency is important for people to feel good and in control). And I don't think it's bad to fuss over details, just as long as you know when to quit doing it (like at a deadline) :)
    5. You. Have. A. Life. (you breath, you learn and you interact = proof enough) And you have friends, so you don't lack any social skills.(BTW, need life constitute of more friends than one can handle? I really don't think so. And romance? Maybe a life-partner would be nice, but honestly; I hope I meet 'the One' in my future working environment or somewhere like that. Saves trouble with conflicting ambitions and/or other foreseeable problems in that area (and I am counting my lucky stars that I didn't 'meet' anyone in RA ... I would have never gone to London, that's for sure) Therefore; This resolution in invalid.

    (Wow, this turned into a miniature essay :P Sorry for any grammar/spelling issues. I try. :S )

    Just to say; read this and do whatever you want with my words (you even may burn them, but that seems a waste of a laptop or computer).

    And; Have a Great New Year!!"

    ReplyDelete